About the Jindera Pioneer Museum…
The first German settlers arrived in the Jindera area in 1867, having trekked from Adelaide in horse drawn wagons. Before they arrived, probably in the 1840s, a small wattle and daub hut was built just off the main track through town. This hut still stands at the site of the Jindera Pioneer Museum, and probably is the oldest remaining cottage or house in the Albury District.
In 1874 Johann Rosler and Peter Wagner built a store and three room residence on this same site. It became known as Wagner’s Store. Formed in 1967, the Jindera Pioneer Museum and Historical Society purchased the evolved Wagner’s Store, the residence, and the grounds around the wattle and daub hut.
The Pioneer Museum, one of the best known in NSW, recreates the material culture of the early German settlers, using only local relics. The complex consists of several historic buildings centred around the store, set within a sprawling, beautiful two hectares of grounds that now feature not only the wattle and daub cottage, but an authentically furnished slab hut, a remarkable and extensive collection of farm implements, equipment and forge, an historic post office, a gallery and several other outhouses and structures. Set to open later in 2018 is the1872 era blacksmith shop and stables.
The Wagner’s Store and Residence was restored and painstakingly furnished so as to recreate its 19th-century appearance. The shop building is pre-eminent in NSW for its original shop fittings and furnishings and is stocked with authentic goods of the 19th century. The living area at the rear is also furnished in its original style. Within this amazing 16 room complex is another beautiful display gallery.
The Museum plays host to many thousands of visitors throughout the year.
It is also a Visitor Information Centre, providing regional maps and information regarding local places of interest.
We are looking forward to our Spring season of School & Group visitors. As well as our usual day to day visitors of course!
Museum’s 50th Anniversary
Sir Russell Drysdale declared the Jindera Museum open in 1968, also the Centenary year of the township.
On October 6th 2018, we were delighted to celebrate the Museum’s 50th Anniversary with an OPEN DAY, and our first ever LOST TRADES day.