top of page

ABOUT THE JINDERA PIONEER MUSEUM

Screenshot-2023-03-11-at-5.43.31-pm.png

The first German settlers arrived in the Jindera area in 1867, having trekked from Adelaide in horse drawn wagons. Before they arrived, probably in the 1840s, a small wattle and daub hut was built just off the main track through town. This hut still stands at the site of the Jindera Pioneer Museum, and probably is the oldest remaining cottage or house in the Albury District.

In 1874 Johann Rosler and Peter Christian (PC) Wagner built a store and three room residence on this same site. It became known as Wagner’s Store.  The partnership was dissolved in 1884, and P.C. Wagner carried on the business, being joined by his son later on.  P.C. Wagner retired in 1914, and his son, Gustav Frederick Wagner carried on the business till his death in 1950.  After the death of Gustav Wagner the freehold and business was sold to Mr A Burdack.

The business operated under several leases until 1958 when the store closed for the last time.  Wagner’s store lay empty for nine years before a group of local residents headed by Mrs Margary Wehner and Mrs Catherine Clark initiated the establishment of the folk museum. In 1967, the freehold of the store was bought by the newly formed committee The Jindera Pioneer Museum and Historical Society which purchased the evolved Wagner’s Store, the residence, and the grounds around the wattle and daub hut.  Today Wagners store is now the Jindera Pioneer Museum which was opened by Russell Drysdale on the 5th October 1968 to celebrate the Jindera Centenary.

The Pioneer Museum, one of the best known in NSW, recreates the material culture of the early German settlers, using only local relics. The complex consists of several historic buildings centred around the store, set within a sprawling, beautiful two acres of grounds that now feature not only the wattle and daub cottage, but an authentically furnished slab hut, a remarkable and extensive collection of farm implements, equipment and forge, an historic post office, a gallery and several other outhouses and structures.

The Wagner’s Store and Residence was restored and painstakingly furnished so as to recreate its 19th-century appearance. The shop building is pre-eminent in NSW for its original shop fittings and furnishings and is stocked with authentic goods of the 19th century. The living area at the rear is also furnished in its original style. Within this amazing 16 room complex is another beautiful display gallery.

The Museum plays host to many thousands of visitors throughout the year.

It is also a Visitor Information Centre, providing regional maps and information regarding local places of interest.

The Jindera Pioneer Museum is a volunteer organisation owned and operated by its members.  The Museum is open every day from 10 am to 4 pm in the warmer months, and 10-3pm in the cooler times. The Museum only closes on Christmas Day and Good Friday.  Our famous Tea Room currently open every Sunday from 11am (and select public holidays) Devonshire Tea with a variety of sweet and savouries delights available for purchase.

Wagner’s store lay empty for nine years before a group of local residents headed by Margary Wehner and Catherine Clark initiated the establishment of the folk museum. The freehold of the store was bought by the newly formed committee and Wagners store is now the Jindera Pioneer Museum which was opened by Russell Drysdale on the 5th October 1968 to celebrate the Jindera Centenary.

The site occupies over 2 acres and comprises Wagners Store and main residence, the Wattle and Daub Cottage, the Slab Hut, the Marge Wehner Gallery, the original Huon Post Office and a vast collection of notable machinery, much produced locally.

Map.jpg
  1. The original Wagners Store as you would have found it in 1906

  2. Attached to the store is the shop gallery, originally for storage but now a wonderful collection of items from the district

  3. The main Residence, home to the Wagner family and built in three stages with the original store at the front, now occupied by the museum Tea Rooms

  4. The Wattle and Daub Cottage, the oldest known cottage in the district built in the traditional wattle and daub style

  5. The Marge Wehner Gallery housing the Russell Drysdale collection and many other fine artworks

  6. The Huon Post Office, originally situated 6 km north of the township

  7. The buggy room and machinery shed. The machinery in this collection is regarded as historically significant as it is particularly related to this area, many items being made locally

  8. A significant collection of headers and harvesters and outdoor machinery including fencing and windmill

  9. The Tim Fischer Working Machinery Shed with motors and vehicles that can work. And the hay shed with straw thatched roofing

  10. The slab hut constructed from an original hut found on a local farm

  11. The original blacksmith to Jindera built in 1872. This site includes the blacksmith stables, recently restored

bottom of page